Thursday, March 5, 2009

Poor Fishy


I need help. We can't seem to keep our goldfish alive around here. We feed them (just the right amount). We clean their bowl. We take good care of them. Caroline even sings to and checks on them frequently during the day. But they don't last more than a week before they go belly up. When I was in high school, I had guppies. They never died. When I was in college, I had goldfish and they lasted forever. I can't figure out what we're doing wrong.
When Caroline was about 20 months old, we got our first goldfish. I figured it would be a nice "pet" that she could help me feed and that she could watch swimming around it's bowl. It lasted for a month or two before it kicked the bucket. It looked almost like it was bleeding internally - we could see dark red staining under its scales. So of course, we replaced it. The next one lasted a week before the same thing happened. And then the 3rd only lasted 2 days. So we took a break until just recently. 2 weeks ago, we brought home "Fishy". A week later, we fed him and left for town. When we returned several hours later, he was floating at the top of the bowl. Caroline sobbed. We bought two more fish. Here we are exactly a week later. Fishy #1 was belly up this morning. Fishy #2 was just discovered about 10 minutes ago taking his last gillsful of air. He's now in fishy heaven too. Any suggestions? What are we doing wrong??? 28 cents is definitely affordable to replace them, but I'd like to actually keep them alive! Help!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you're not having very much luck with your fish. That really stinks! First I would try bottled water. You know, just a cheap gallon from Wal-Mart. There may be something in your well that the fish don't like. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd try fish from a real pet store. Sometimes Wal-Mart fish are sickish to begin with, so they don't make for long lasting pets. Oh, and if you've not read it, Caroline would get a kick out of the book "A Fish Out of Water" Good luck!

Hmachine said...

We thought it would be fun to have fish for a few months (hopeing they would die after a while) and they are still around. . . It's been forever. I rarely clean the tank and L feeds them so I'm not sure if they get fed all the time or how much. Nice, huh? Our tank does have a filter with air bubbles going through it?? I really have NO clue. :) But good luck. :)

Krista said...

I think goldfish are yucky. When I had one, I wanted it to die. It was the most dirty fish ever- I'd have to clean the bowl once a week, which got really old. I think guppies are more fun, then you can get the pregnant ones. It's fun to have baby fishies- except when the bigger ones try to eat the little babies. I bought a net insert to put the babies in. They were hard to catch, too. I am glad I don't have fish anymore. Sorry. Not much help either. Good luck!

Shannon said...

I've heard Wal-mart fish are bound to die...