Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Parable of the Ten Virgins


On Saturday, the women's organization of our church did a musical production of the parable of "The Ten Virgins." I was given the assignment of musical director for this program and felt less than adequate. But with much prayer I selected 10 women from our Stake (sortof like a Diocese for those who aren't familiar with the organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.) in addition to myself to play the parts of the virgins and a narrator. I felt that the choices were very inspired and as we practiced, I found that each sister's strengths were SUCH an asset to pulling everything together. We even had a couple women who have been very involved in theater. They were able to give valuable directions to help me, since I don't have much of a background in that area. The musical expertise of many of the women was also invaluable! We rehearsed every weekend for a month and though I was very worried and stressed out by Friday night when we had our last major practice, everything came together with the Lord's help & guidance. It was a beautiful production, but the parable itself has been such a powerful reminder to me of the need to daily fill my lamp with prayer, diligent study, service & humility so that I will be prepared on the day that our Savior returns. I related on so many levels with each of the virgins, foolish and wise. I believe that is why Christ told this story in particular. We all have qualities, good and bad - like each of the virgins. It is up to us to focus on the good and develop them as we fill our lamps with sustaining oil I loved the lines of the closing song, called "When He Comes for Me." "Like a lamp, the Master planned each of us with His grand design. The oil is the light I will burn through the night as I wait for Him to come again. There will always be enough, if I run to Him to fill it up - drop by drop by drop. Till I'm kneeling at His feet, and I know Him perfectly. I'll be worthy of my king; When He comes for me." The lyrics have been in my mind all weekend and I pray I can keep them there as a daily reminder of the things I need to do to be worthy of him. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to participate in such an uplifting experience, to be fed spiritually and also be fed socially! I love the sisters I worked with, and especially enjoyed getting to know some of the women who aren't from our area who participated.
I don't know if you'd call us WISE "virgins"...
I LOVE this woman! Karol is my new BFF - a truly kindred spirit (as Jake put it after reading one of her emails!)

No comments: