Friday, October 24, 2008

The Post About the Craziness of This Last Week

Things have been a little crazy around here. Here's a taste of what's keeping us Busy Butlers, uh, busy.


We've been working on our food storage...

For breakfast the other day, I found two oatmeal packets leftover from last year. So I mixed them up. I don't remember the last time I made Clayton baby cereal, and Caroline wasn't a fan of hot cereal last year (except Malt-O-Meal, and boy howdy, after our "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" preschool unit, I tell you, "Porridge" was a hit.) So the oatmeal. I made it. They chowed. It was great. But I don't want to buy those little packets anymore. Too expensive. So I found a fantastic recipe for the homemade version, but instead of making packets I filled canisters with the mixture that we just scoop out with a 1/3 cup measure. Wow. And since I already had all the ingredients - unopened cans of quick oats leftover from students at the school, freeze dried fruit from Emergency Essentials and a variety of coffee creamers from making flavored hot cocoa last year for Christmas gifts, it's cost me zip! Easy and cost effective (that is, unless your family gobbles up two whole canisters within the first week of making them.)

We've cleaned out the garden. Or at least started.

I made salsa and chunky spiced applesauce.

We've had a preschool lesson on where milk comes from. Check out the book Ice Cream.
Caroline showing Daddy how a cow gives milk.
We've done some housekeeping.

And we've been dancing. Some more.


2 comments:

Christina said...

So that's what you've been up to, silly me, I thought that SAHM's just sat around reading books and eating bon bons all day. Glad to know it was productive week. Love the new scrapbook page/title thing, so cute!

Unknown said...

Hey...the Thrive line of freeze dried fruit (especially the Blackberries) are YUMMY!! They are sold at www.shelfreliance.com I believe they are are 15% off right now also!!